Tuesday 11 March 2008

On edge

That's me. Always on edge, worried about what James is going to do next and how I'm going to manage. But also, I'm on the edge of James - sometimes I feel so close to him, as if he's invited me to enter his world and really connect with him but so often I'm not allowed quite close enough. As if I am watching through glass, disconnected from reality and distant. Perhaps that's how he feels? The more I try and get through to him the more moments we share with laughter and connection but they're only fleeting and it breaks my heart more than I ever imagined possible. Sometimes I wonder if it would be easier if he was totally disengaged from me, because I wouldn't set myself up to fall down again. And when I fall, I fall hard. My spirit feels broken, my whole reason for being drains from me and I can hardly pick myself up. I have never dealt with rejection very well, and to experience it at this intensity and frequency takes its toll. When I watch James pushing me roughly aside, screaming "no!" forcefully, as I try and offer him a cup of water when he is coughing and crying at night, I just wish I knew what to do, how to handle it, how to stop myself crying and feeling like I am failing him. I wish that autism had never reared its head, and at the same time I find myself wishing that we hadn't seen so much "normality" in James. This time two years ago he was no different from his peers - we enjoyed reading books, singing nursery rhymes and making biscuits together. I was full of thoughts of his future and our future as a family. Fast forward two years and I'm still full of thoughts of his future and our future as a family but those thoughts are no longer full of anticipation, hope and aspirations. Instaed I am full of fear, uncertainty, worry, sadness and grief. For in many ways we have "lost" our son. I don't recognise him in videos or pictures - they are like the memories of long lost relatives, stored to help us remember. I watch them with tears running down my face, just as a mother would mourn her child. Only I still have James. He is still here, he still needs me more than anyone has ever needed me and I sit here, on the edge, wating for the next time he invites me to leave the edge and enter his world.

1 comment:

startare said...

Take courage, I know it's rather feeble, but the strength is in you, I am sure. Just a couple of words to assure you that you are in my thoughts, and if you'd like to give me a few clues about the PIF prezzie, feel free.