Thursday 28 February 2008

Hooked

We've had a busy couple of days so I haven't had a chance to update and fill in all our news. In the grand scheme of things, not much has been happening, but I am about to embark on a serious declutter of our house having received a rather large shipment of plastic boxes from here. I have promised my husband that I will tackle our bedroom today/this evening so had better get a move on....

I have another confession - I'm an addict. Less than a week ago I finally cracked how to crochet and ever since I've hardly stopped. I love how I can fling my project in my handbag without having to worry about the stitches slipping off the needles, unlike in knitting. I love how there's no "rules" and how quickly your project grows. I am planning to make all my presents this year even though that means I'd better start now. My husband thinks I'm going mad, especially as new yarn seems to arrive every three days or so. My latest purchase was some Rowan ribbon twist to make a rug for our lounge. I popped into our local charity shops on Tuesday and was able to buy a vintage 1960s crochet book - complete with colour plates of funky dresses and bags.

On Tuesday I went to my first knitting meet! It's an idea that started in the USA, under the title "Stitch 'n Bitch" and I organised a local meeting for other interested knitters. We went to a local pub and sat chatting and knitting (or stitching and bitching I guess!!!). There were only 4 of us this time, but I hadn't publicised it locally (in case it was a disaster) and I think we'll do it again. We got a lot of comments and several men wanted us to teach them - I've told them to look out for us at the next meet and join us! We'll see if it takes off. I'd really like to be involved in organising something like this - I enjoy teaching people and would love to spread the love of the craft.

If my knitting and crochet hobby is an addiction, well I guess there's worse things I could be doing with my time. Our lives are so full of challenges, worries, misery and stress that I need a creative outlet to express myself. I don't like having idle hands - if I am concentrating on my crafting then I'm less likely to be fretting over the latest problem we're having in nursery/ with the LEA/ with James' behaviour. It's important to have a way to let go and relax.

No comments: