Saturday 23 February 2008

The man called U.N.C.L.E

I realised this morning that I hadn't even mentioned that my brother had come to stay this week. It has been over three years since he last stayed with us, although I have been back to stay with my parents many times since then. When he last visited us, I had an 18 month old happy, active, chatty toddler who doted on his uncle and showed no signs of autism. How much has changed in three short years....

James has always been quick to seek out contact with male carers - he used to run up to men in the park, pointing to himself, saying "James, me James, me Jamie!" and look straight into their eyes. Many of my tube journeys were spent hiding my face as James sought out eye contact with men who were trying to mind their own business! If it was a particularly good looking man, I'd flash him my best smile but more often than not it was some rather unkempt, old man with several bags full of goodness knows what. Often there would be delighted comments on how charming he was and how happy he seemed. Nowadays I still get comments on his looks but more often than not I can feel people looking and wondering why he doesn't talk to them, why he's wearing a backpack with reins, why he's screeching and tsking to himself (these are his stims which help to calm him). If they start up a conversation I am usually quite open about his autism but it's not always appropriate to talk about it. Anyway, I digress. The point I was trying to make is that he has developed a strong relationship with all the male members of our family - my brother and both of his grandfathers. He is always pleased to see my mother but his face lights up when he sees my father. So you can imagine how excited he was to see my brother.

Having an extra pair of hands around in the daytime during half term was a godsend. I was able to relax a lot and Jason really bonded with both children. The last time he saw us was in August, and Bea was only just learning to walk and had a handful of words - he was most taken by the chatty, jumping bean she's become. As for James, he couldn't get enough of his favourite uncle and they had plenty of fun running round the garden, playing tickling games, doing jigsaws and basically just hanging out together. We took the children to Cassiobury Park to the lovely playground there and to ChaChaCha, a borough supported cafe in the grounds. I think Jason found ChaChaCha a bit overwhelming - for the first half hour he was the only male in the packed cafe, and the noise was a bit much for him. He has told me that the last few days have been exhausting and fun but have put him off having children himself - I hope that he rethinks this as he will make an excellent father (don't tell him I said that - it's an unwritten rule that we never compliment each other in our family).

Not only did he help me out during the day, but he and David have managed to paint the playroom! Yay! We just did a quick two coat job with the Dulux Endurance range (we have developed a bit of a thing for Farrow and Ball paint but I didn't think it would stand up to the (mal)treatment it would get in the playroom) and the room looks so different now. It is bright and light and actually quite pleasant to sit in. I know we'd never have got round to it without the help from Jason, so let's hear it for the best uncle I know.

1 comment:

startare said...

Hi Karen, little did I realise when I signed up for this PIF thing that it really has more than one connection with angels. I will follow your blog and post to you as often as I can.
I will not offer any advice or reference about your boy, just say that I have a nephew (who is now 11), whose problem has not entirely been diagnosed, but was first classified as "autistic", then as Angelman's syndrome. His name is Hippolyte and he is one lovely boy, full of life and love, even if we cannot communicate along the "normal" channels.
It will be lovely to make something with you and your family in mind.