Saturday 6 September 2008

The kindness of strangers...

I am just overwhelmed, amazed and speechless. That a group of strangers care enough about me and my family and our current difficulties that they have clubbed together and paid for some respite for us for James. But then I shouldn't be shocked, really, as that is the whole ethos of an internet forum - it's there to support people in all sorts of ways. I often find myself giving medical advice on threads about children's health issues (although I always cover myself by saying that I can't diagnose without seeing the child) and I am now considered an expert in baby led weaning and sling wearing, so I hope I have helped people with problems in the past. Now it's my turn to receive some greatly appreciated help and I am stunned. I am also angry as if the social services department was doing their job properly and handling their account appropriately, there would be plenty of funding for us to access respite through them, rather than having to depend on the kindness of strangers. It seems unfair that the government spout political nonsense about "Every Disabled Child Matters" and that families of children with disabilities are entitled to short breaks, yet the funding isn't avaialble to give this desperately needed respite. Or perhaps the money is there, it just isn't used properly. How the people who make their decisions, and suggest that our case isn't strong enough, can look at themselves in the mirror, I don't know...

Talking of kind deeds, on Ravelry, there's a forum called "Random Acts of Kindness" which is a wonderful set up where you make/give someone an item just because. You can make a wish list (I really struggled with that as I'm not particularly good at asking for things!) and then people either surprise you or contact you to offer something. This week I received a set of double pointed needles and have started knitting in the round - a skill I thought I'd never master, but which is deceptively easy! Another kind person sent my husband some gummy sweets - he's now stopped complaining about my knitting forums! I've sent out a couple of books and am making some scarves for people, so I feel I'm doing my bit. I am a strong believer in karma and it seems that the karma fairy is being good to me at the moment....

1 comment:

Casdok said...

How wonderful for strangers to do that. But your right they shouldnt have to. Getting funding for things can be such a struggle.