Friday 29 August 2008

It's all go here!

Life in the fast lane isn't usually a phrase I associate with myself (I guess I see myself lacking in get up and go - I'm more "get up and sit down"!!!), but recently I've pulled my socks up and seem to be getting places fast. Or at least, faster than usual! I am trying hard not to procastinate so much and am finding I'm less weighed down by indecision. My husband has even commented on how much easier I'm being and how much happier we are at the moment.

As you know, I'm hoping to get back to work very soon. I had hoped that I'd be at the hospital induction next week, but that's looking unlikely now. Just as well, really, as we haven't got proper childcare sorted. I had used Gumtree to advertise for a nanny. That was quite an experience - the responses included one nanny who said "I hope you have a nice big car for me to drive" and plenty of people who assured me they love children and watching them play and use their imagination. They had obviously failed to read my (detailed) advert which clearly stated James' difficulties and mentioned a need to have experience of special needs. Oh well. We did come across two fantastic potential nannies, but sadly their circumstances meant we were unable to employ them. I was planning on chosing a "good enough" candidate but thought I'd give the local Children's Information Services a ring and find out whether there were any local childminders with experience of autism. To my surprise a letter landed on my doorstep today with three numbers. I called the first and was amazed to find a vacancy for both children on the day I need. It's not often that the Gods look favourably on me, so I'm grabbing the bull by the horns, taking the children to meet her next week and hopefully they'll start with her the following week. It's such a weight off my mind to know that the person who will look after them will have a degree of understanding of James' needs and difficulties. He needs patient, quiet, dependable carers who will give him the extra attention he thrives on and I have a gut feeling that this is the carer for him. The bonus is that her house is on the way to work and a stone's throw from the station!

Sadly, it's not all go at the LEA - they confirmed that the school were unable to recruit a teacher so there's no way James will start at his planned school this term. I am devestated to say the least. But I will keep up my fight to try to get him into Radlett Lodge School as soon as possible. We have an assessment date soon, so that's a start.

Another kick in the teeth was when my social worker informed me that we had been turned down (again) for respite. I find it hard to believe that in this day and age we spend more money on arms and defence than we do on health and social care put together. From tomorrow, James is at home 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and I get no help or support from any voluntary or statutory agency. Yes, we'd rather send soldiers to Afganistan than help a desperate mother to grab an hour a week of much needed respite. It's outrageous.

No comments: